definitions, examples, opinions, explanations

1.27.2008

translation -

Today is sign-making day. A German student and I will create cartoon dialogue boxes that will change the meaning of underwear modeling momentarily.

A very generous Hungarian math student translated some phrases that will go in cartoon dialogue boxes. I'm leaving the translator's comments in because I like them. Here are four phrases that were translated into Hungarian:

What is the sexiest prime number under 1000?
Mi a legszexibb 1000-nél kisebb prím(szám)?
(We often leave szám=number)


I think that 357 is hot.
Szerintem a 357 ...
I'm not sure in what meaning you use "hot", in hungarian I think the best word is "szenvedélyes", that means passionate, impassioned. If you want to emphasis another meaning, please tell it.
(Why do you think 357 is the best prime? I think the first thing that a half-naked woman would tell about primes is 007, James Bond... :-) )


A prime number is only divisible by 1 and itself.
A prímszámok csak 1-gyel és önmagukkal oszthatók.
(We almost always use the plural form to this definition)


Prime numbers are the key to any woman's heart.
A prímszám a kulcs a női szívekhez.
(what an idea!)

----
uPCOMING things:
Monday - make photoshop document that shows each design in color. Save to USB stick. Print out.
Tuesday morning - return to the fabric shop to buy everything for the shirts. This will be exciting. The shirts will be assembled... I don't know how soon, though.
Wednesday - buy out the Gap
Thursday - world domination

No comments:

Previous Posts

Profile

I'm from Tacoma, Washington in the US. Between 2001 and 2007 I studied math and physics at Willamette University (BA) and Oxford University (MSc). I also made ten videos - documentaries, narratives, art projects. Currently, I'm studying video art at the Hungarian Academy of Fine Arts on a Fulbright Scholarship. My project is to incorporate mathematical ideas into films and videos.