definitions, examples, opinions, explanations

1.04.2008

The Binary Word Palindrome

Suppose you have a phrase such as

'Ami Silkey eats a pita.'

This is an example of a binary word palindrome. But where is the symmetry?

I'll rewrite the phrase again, and below it I will indicate a 0 for a vowel and a 1 for a consonant.

Ami Silkey eats a pita.
010 101100 0011 01010

The string of 1s and 0s is symmetric, and thus the phrase satisfies the following definition:

A binary word palindrome is a word or sequence of words that when transposed into binary using the above mapping (vowels become 0s and consonants become 1s), the resulting sequence is a palindrome.

Notes

1) The beauty of this constraint is that it could go unnoticed in a piece of writing. It lacks the extremely stringent and (in my opinion) overbearing nature of a palindrome, but still requires the writer to think carefully about how he uses words. I have yet to see a work that is constructed following this constraint. But it would be cool.

2) I realized the idea in Tihany, Hungary in September 2007 on a retreat for artists. A fellow participant was named Alana Lake. I thought immediately that the word 'vowelindrome' describes the idea. But then a few months later, I thought of a constraint that is described better by the word 'vowelindrome'. So I decided to call the first the 'binary word palindrome'. I have struggled to come up with a term that is both succinct and precise, and to be honest I'm not completely satisfied with 'binary word palindrome'. I've chosen the phrase 'binary word' to refer to the mapping from words to 1s and 0s, and 'palindrome' is self-explanatory. If you have a better idea, please let me know. Like the walindrome, the idea may have been noticed before by someone else.

3) OULIPO have done something similar to the vowelindrome. It is called the antonymic letter translation and may be attributed to the Moroccan-born Frenchman, Marcel Benabou.

The antonymic letter translation replaces vowels by consonants and consonants by vowels. The example given in the 2005 version of the OuLiPo Compendium (Ed. Harry Matthews, Alastair Brotchie) is

To be or not to be: that is the question
(To beorno ttobe that isthequ es tion)
An unreal oasis, easy quietus: no acme

The antonymic letter translation is similar to the vowelindrome because both constraints treat vowels and consonants as distinctly different sets.

No comments:

Previous Posts

Profile

I'm from Tacoma, Washington in the US. Between 2001 and 2007 I studied math and physics at Willamette University (BA) and Oxford University (MSc). I also made ten videos - documentaries, narratives, art projects. Currently, I'm studying video art at the Hungarian Academy of Fine Arts on a Fulbright Scholarship. My project is to incorporate mathematical ideas into films and videos.