definitions, examples, opinions, explanations

1.30.2008

for the young and the wrestleless

The following image may break your mind, especially if you're in the fashion industry. It is a cartoon drawing of my designs for t-shirts for the prime number project. You can pre-order shirts at webstc(at)gmail(dot)com. They will go quickly. Or the act of them going from my hands to others will probably not be quick, but shirt distribution will occur at a high rate once they are finished. They will be shown in Epreskert at the Hungarian Academy of Fine Arts, near Bajza utca. If all goes well, there will be a fashion show on or around March 12th. More details will be forthcoming on the Interventions in the Everyday website (http://ite2008.wordpress.com). The shirts will be made from high quality fabric, assembled by a woman who lives in Budapest. There will be between 40 and 50 shirts total for the first printing. The designs will either be sewed on by hand or silkscreened.

Be part of the fad. It's fun to be cool!



Today I went to the wholesale fabric store and found out that the fabric was twice as expensive as the retail stores in town. Budapest, I misunderstand you sometimes, or else I don't understand at all. But perhaps buying at a retail store would mean there is more color variety. It would not necessarily be bad, and not overly expensive either. I will have to do some researchando.

Things to do:
- Finish signs
- write fliers
- buy fabric
- write artist's statement about this work and post on ite2008.wordpress.com
- eat a burrito
- have fun
- make 2 prime numbered hemp necklaces with wooden beads
- see if they look cool enough to make more
- read at the library
- make soup and relax


In other news:
I'm showing a short video at the Szolnok gallery. It's a small thing part of the exhibition of three other art students' work. The opening will be on Friday, February 1st, at 6:30pm. All are welcome.

Yesterday I wrote and recorded the song 'Paper shapes / visors on' for the postcard music project. the project involves five people. Each person writes a song, then sends the lyrics and chords to the other participants. Everybody makes their own song to the lyrics and chords without hearing the original song. It's really fun. I like it a lot. We haven't been using postcards much, though. Mostly just emails. Nevertheless, it's great to let your imagination roam on someone else's lyrics. My sitatuion is interesting because I don't have a guitar or other musical instrument. I just have my voice and the computer program called Garageband. So I'm the synthesized portion of the project, you know? Like the recording of 'Paper shapes / visors on' has organ, a horn section, two types of church bells, and a full drum set. Because you can do that in garage band. I wonder how it will sound when it's on a stereo. Like will the horns sound really digital? Since I have so many synthesized instruments, one of the songs I do will be straight up rap. I'll just drop a beat like it's hot, and turn one of these little ditties into a P. Diddy. Boo yah, grandma.

Here are the lyrics to my song. I just played Ab and Eb repeatedly throughout the song. Enjoy it. Make your own song. it's fun to do.

1st verse.
When I met you (flourescent light)
I had the feeling I had the feeling

I didn't feel when we were apart
I had a feeling I never knew
about the feeling

When we were apart I never knew
I lost the feeling
paper shapes stencils feelings
I lost the feeling

CHORUS
Paper shapes stencils feelings
capers shouts paper plates
(I lost the feeling x2 or 3)
x4

2nd Verse.
Hold my hand, "do you feel it?"
You say, "Yes. I feel your hand, dude."
I'll say, "Backatcha, I do too, I do too."
And we'll be quiet.

CHORUS (without "(I lost the feeling)")

(the sound of laughter)

3rd Verse and ending.
Think we're kids live down the block
know when to start, know when to st--

Think we're kids live down the block
know when to talk know when to stop
12 hours of sleep know when to stop
Look at the sky and lick our cones

We're such cool kids with visors on
with visors on with visors on (x2)

We're cool cool kids we wear pink shorts

we're such cool kids with visors on
with visors on with visors on (x3)

we're cool cool kids and we wear pink shorts

3 comments:

Emily Melander said...

I recored your song with my friends dallas, bryan, and julia last weekend -
I didn't remember what the title was so we had to come up with title - here were some that I can remember --- with visors on - when are you going to take that visor off? - when are you going to put those pink shorts on your head?
hooked on a feeling - I love that feeling - ooo baby, baby

diana palmer said...

hi craig. its diana. i like your song's words

Craig Webster said...

hello, y'all. i'm glad to hear that the provo sound machine is still in motion, changing the words and singing them and all that jazz. i would like to hear the song, emily. also, great to hear from you diana. have you written any songs lately? how are your chillies?

Previous Posts

Profile

I'm from Tacoma, Washington in the US. Between 2001 and 2007 I studied math and physics at Willamette University (BA) and Oxford University (MSc). I also made ten videos - documentaries, narratives, art projects. Currently, I'm studying video art at the Hungarian Academy of Fine Arts on a Fulbright Scholarship. My project is to incorporate mathematical ideas into films and videos.